Tuesday, 19 March 2019

Kahoot quiz to teach values





I was teaching in Te Waahi1 for a day when the teacher attended PLD. I was thinking of away to consolidate the school values and for the students to express their understanding of the values. I wanted something that would be engaging and a fun way to express their understanding of them.
I decided to use Kahoot, a digital quiz making programme.  The class had not used this before so I wanted to give them an experience of using it, and then wanted them to create their own quiz.
I also thought that Laythin could use this quiz with his RTLB to create a quiz sharing his knowledge of dangerous animals. (Laythin has ASD and is obsessed with dangerous animals)

Here is the quiz that I created. Kahoot value quiz

Reflection:
The students enjoyed this digital way of doing the quiz. The children compete against each other on the tv screen and this had lots of discussion about each value. But was cemented their understanding was making their own 5 question quiz for a partner around the school values. 
Seeing something once is better than hearing about it a hundred times. Doingsomething once is better than seeing it a hundred times.” by Lisa See.Dreams of Joy.
Making their own quiz ensured they understood that value and could give a good example of that value in action. By giving the correct answer and 3 other incorrect answers also made them compare and contrast the school values.
This also was a great tool for Laythin with addition needs. He enjoyed making his quiz about his interest (dangerous animals) This was a way he was included with his class, doing the same thing as them but within his own interest. He really enjoyed his classmates doing his quiz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment